Saturday, September 27, 2014

My Neighborhood Park

The park outside the hotel bustles with activity from the time the sun comes up around 5 am until the lights are turned off at 9:30 pm.  There is a large soccer field encircled by a four lane track covered in AstroTurf.  There is open space around the track area and often groups gather for aerobics, tai chi, jump roping, and badminton. 



The early risers are usually out walking or running around the track.  I even see women in their work clothes and carrying their handbags out for exercise before they head to work.  One popular way to exercise is to walk backwards.  I found out that walking backwards burns several times more calories than walking forwards.

I have tried to maintain my Durham schedule of running every other day so I now see familiar faces and the same dogs out when I go out before breakfast.  I've enjoyed the wonderful food in Kunshan so much that I feel I must have regular exercise or I will need a new wardrobe before I return home.  I get lots of stares when I run and I try to return their looks with a smile. 

One interesting aspect of night in the park is that huge groups of people come together for exercise
classes.  These are not strenuous exercises but movement classes that usually last about 90 minutes.  Four people stand in the front of hundreds of people to lead the group and music blares out across the field.


I miss my morning run around the East Campus wall and the familiar faces and smiles.  But, I find comfort in the regularity of the schedule and this interest in good health. 




We had a special treat last weekend as three DKU faculty (Alan Burns, Jeff Moe, and Don Snow) and Tong Meng, DKU's undergradate academic manager, performed onstage in the park.  The audience were quite impressed when Don spoke to them fluently in Chinese.   The quartet performed four songs and then the crowd sang "Happy Birthday" to Jeff in Chinese to help him celebrate this 65th birthday.




The DKU group was followed by a number of interesting groups who sang and danced, including this group of women who performed with their leaf cutouts.  The lighting in the park was dim so my photos are not very clear but I think you will be able to tell we had a great time.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Linda for this 'taste of your day'.

    ReplyDelete